Monday, August 24, 2009

First Weeks Down!!!

Hello again! After such a long time, too. I've been back at West Point for two weeks and I'm still loving it. It's been hectic, fun, crazy, exhausting, enjoyable, rough, and everything in between, but I must say...it feels GOOD to be back!!
So, I got here on August 9th for the start of reorganization week. That night I put my room together and enjoyed seeing my friends after the summer. I am rooming with my good buddy Dan Baker (I roomed with him first semester of plebe year, as well. We were supposed to have another guy in with us, but he decided to bail at 0100 the night before I got there because another one of our freinds needed a roommate.) So, we got set up Sunday night and prepared to receive our plebes on Monday. Now that I am no longer a plebe, I have been promoted to a team leader. Now, it is my classes and my job to act as the first line supervision, disciple, correction, etc. for the plebes. So I can't just worry about myself this year, but I also need to manage my plebe as well. (That is what this institution is all about anyway....leadership)
I met my plebe Monday afternoon after he got back from a 13.6 mile ruck march after they had been in the field for 4 or 5 days. They SMELLED horribly, incredibly bad!!! It was almost unbearable to stand next to them. Even the upper classmen told us that we didn't smell as bad as they did. Anyway, I met my plebe...New Cadet Christopher Archer. Basically the whole week consisted of me helping him getting set up and ready for the new year. I helped it do what he needed to do and gave him some hints and tips along the way. When I wasn't helping him I was chilling with my buddies or playing video games on a local network with all my friends. I had a whole week with nothing to do but help my plebe and chill with friends! Quite amazing, if I do say so myself.
Classes started on the 17th. Ugh... My schedule isn't too bad. On Day 1s I have Russian, break, Physics, Calculus, lunch....Scuba, and then History. Day 2s I have Russian, Economics, Intro to Computing, Calculus, lunch, and then off... I am absolutely loving Russian so far. I have finally learned the entire alphabet, and I can read most words. We've even started speaking a little. It's sweet. Physics is okay...I liked it in highschool, but we'll see how it goes here. Calculus is alrite, as well. My instructor is awesome, so its a good time. Economics is a really interesting class. I like it because I can see the direct application on my everyday life. My instructor really knows her stuff as well, and she makes it very interesting. History of the US and IT105 are both plebe classes that I have as I continue to catch up. US History is easy (since I've taken it a few times now), but it is still really interesting. I saved the best for last...SCUBA!!!! This is definitely, by far, the most amazing class ever! (Boxing is a close second, though.) The first day I had class we had about 15 minutes of instruction, and then we jumped in with mask, snorkel, and fins. (Oh yeah, we're training in a pool). So, this week I learned how to clear the mask snorkel, we put on the BC (Buoyancy Compensator), and weight belt. This week we should be putting on the tanks. This class won't open water certify me, but it will eliminate about half the origianl certification, so it will be a whole lot easier and cheaper to get my open water cert. I can't wait to go back to my next class. It makes the whole week worth it! I've already begun looking for some scuba gear so I can get my own. We'll see how that turns out...
This weekend I went to my Bible Study leader's house for some food, fun, and games. I had a great time eating pizza, drinking soda, playing some Halo. I was talking to him about our small groups on Tuesday nights, and he told me that he is helping out someone else this year, so I have to find a new place to go. I have a few options, so I'm not worried. Also, I'll still be meeting with him once a week and going to his Bible study. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about a church service. We'll see how it goes.
After much deliberation...I think I might have figured out what I want to major in. One of my very good friends put it very well when I told them "I finally know what I want to major in!" Their reply..."what is it this week?" That is so true of me, too. I always change my mind, but for this week, I desire to pursue a Kinesiology major with a med track. I have always loved Kinesiology and it is what I originally looked at when I began looking at colleges with my dad in 9th grade. I figured I would take the med track to keep my options open, and hopefully I'd go to med school about 3 to 5 years after I graduate (I would like to be in combat arms first). I'm talking to an instructor in the department this week, so we'll see how it goes. Please pray for me, because this major is fairly new and they only select very few people...and this is one of the only things I have found that I like right now.
Well, I'm about to head to bed right now. I have a uniform inspection in the morning as well as an equipment inspection. Tomorrow will be a long day. Please continue to pray that I will guard my heart and mind and body, and that I'd seek God's wisdom for my future. Now time to hop in the shower....

No comments:

Post a Comment