Sunday, February 8, 2009

Exhaustion...

I am exhausted after a long week...
This week was quite busy with academics, sprint football practice, and then a busy weekend. Academics: I had a huge test called a WPR (Written Partial Review) in Chemistry on Friday. I believe I did really well, but we'll see on Tuesday. I spent a lot of time studying for that test, and I thought it was pretty easy, but that means nothing here. That can still get you a failing grade. I also had a Writ in AP (Politics). It was worth 150 points, and only four questions. That can spell disaster, but as long as you have a good understanding of the material, you can do well. I'll find that score out this week as well. For my military movement class, we did rock climbing this week. I loved it. We have a 70 ft wall in Arvin, and we just fooled around and learned some techniques doing boulder problems (staying under 12ft). On Friday, I started working for my Level 2 certification by going to climb with my roommate from last semester (who's on the Mountaineering Team). He showed me some things, and I belayed him while he climbed to the top of the wall, and then I climbed to the top. It was a blast. I plan to finish up my certification as soon as I can.
Sprint: We are still doing basic lifts and speed and agility training. I am back to where I was with benching before I left last semester. I'm pretty pshyched about that, because now I plan to increase as much as I possibly can before the Spring Conditioning. Squats, however, I had to decrease a lot of weight so I could work on my form (which is horrible). I also am weighing in WELL over the weight limit we are supposed to have during the season. I have plenty of time to cut weight, but I'd rather not weight as much as I do now anyway. I am weighing about 187 lbs (compared to the 175 I weighed after Beast) right now, and 172 lbs is the league weight. I do not want to starve myself duing the season to make weight, so I have begun to run and bike more. Oh well, you win some..you lose some. Oh yeah, I'm not fat either!
I went to OCF this week on Tuesday, but I missed Bible Study this morning. I slept through my alarm for the second time. I have to get a new one that annoys me even more. I did make it to church, though, and I listened to a really great message on 2 Timothy 2:22. I would provide you with more about the message, but I actually left my Bible in my mom's car, but I can tell you that I need to turn my focus away from those things that are fleeting or vain, and pursue things that are for a more eternal value.
Speaking of my mom's car...she came up this weekend!!! First, on Saturday, my friend and her parents came up. They wanted to see West Point, so they went to the museum in town, and then I gave them a personal tour of post. I had a good time, but I'll let them speak for themselves. Today, as I've said already, my mom came with my sister and brother. It was great. She picked me up, we headed to Grace, and then went out to eat at the traditional place. It was awesome to see them after not having seen them since I left. I've been really busy doing homework most weekends, so I enjoyed having a break this weekend. If anybody who is reading this would like to come up and see me, feel free. Just let me know, and I'll let you know if I'm available. I love visitors, when I actually have the chance to escape.
I had some heartbreak this week. Concerning my summer schedule and getting caught up with classes, I had formulated a plan of attack in my mind, but it was foiled this week when I found out I had been misinformed. It was devastating. I had a mental breakdown that afternoon, but the next day I recovered. It wasn't so much that it wouldn't work, is more that I overlooked a minute detail and set myself up for the disappointment. However, I am in the process of formulating a new plan. I will you updated on what happens after I talk to my contacts.
I've realized I need to begin writing in the middle of the week, because my post is quite lengthy, and I'm not even remembering everything that happened at the beginning of the week.
This week is going to be another hectic week. I didn't do very well at getting to bed at a decent time last week, and I don't know how well that'll go this week. I have a huge WPR in calculus on Thursday, and I am no where near prepared. Every other subject I just have the normal amount (a lot!) of work.
Spiritually: I struggled this week. I sacrificed my quiet time for extra sleep, and, as I've said already, I missed Bible study this morning. I would appreciate your prayers as I get myself back into shape spiritually. My goal is to read 5 chapters a day (which is what I had been doing), and I also have another devotional I'm going through. It's not too hard, I just need to wake up that 15 or 20 minutes earlier to do it. I did have some spiritual victories this week, too. I was having a hard time in a decision I had to make, a course of action. It was a pull between my flesh and what I knew was right, and I, definitely NOT in my own strength, made the right decision. I also had a good talk with my roommate about why I do and don't do some things. This isn't the first time I've had this discussion; it actually comes up frequently, so please pray for him as well.
It's time for me to get ready for accountability formation. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to your struggle with quiet time, especially trying to wake up early for it. As far as exhaustion, every cadet experiences it. Something I'm starting to realize is that we shouldn't let the worries of WP affect our spiritual state. Read what Oswald Chambers says in his devotion, My Utmost For His Highest, for today. Maybe it'll give you new perspectives. Hang in there, plebe year is tough, especially with what you've gone through. Draw on the strength that only Christ can provide and you'll continue to win those spiritual battles. Your brother in Christ.
    -Peter #67

    ReplyDelete