Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's better to be single wishing you were married than married wishing you were single...

That is just one thing I learned from this past weekend at the All Army Navigators Conference. It was amazing. I met some amazing men of God from Army posts all across the US (including one guy from Germany), I was challenged in many areas of my life, and I had a lot of fun, as well. Here is some evidence...

The tubing was awesome. The path was all ice, so it made for super-fast sliding and easy bruising. It was well worth it. One of the times, we loaded four guys onto an old base of one of those small sailboat and rode that down. It was great until it turned sideways and threw us all off! We did some pretty stupid stuff, but it was all well worth it (and we're still alive and in one piece).
I spent some time with some awesome guys on the trip. It was awesome to finally meet some guys from West Point that share the same faith I do, and desire to live it out. That was such a blessing. The first night, the guys in our room shared how we each came to know Christ and how that got us where we were today. It was amazing to hear the different backgrounds of some the guys and how God worked with them and through them to make them into who they are.
**It is going to be really hard to write about everything that happened this weekend, but I will give you a general overview, and if you want to know more, I'll have to talk to you in person.
I met some great men of faith who challenged me right from the moment they spoke to me. I had one guy come and sit down next to me and right away asked me "So, how many days have you done your Quiet Time in the last 30 days?" Ouch, that one hurt. However, after I answered, ashamed at my response, he immediately opened the Bible and further exhorted and encourage me. This was only one instance this weekend where I was exhorted, but I needed it.]
There were also many meetings and workshops that I was able to attend. The main focus on the retreat was on Spiritual Generations and the need for discipleship. As I listened to these men talk about those they have discipled, and just observing how great their understand of the Bible was, I realized how much I wanted to be like that. To know the Bible so well, to have a wealth of verses memorized and flowing from my mouth in everyday conversation, and to be able to disciple someone to the point of being able to say what Paul said, "Follow me, as I have followed Christ." It was humbling and challenging at the same time.
I posted the title I did because of an incredible workshop I attended. It was called "Man, Mission, Mate." We looked at Genesis 2:4-24, and how God first created man, then he gave him his mission, and lastly his mate (helper). This really meant a lot to me because I so often think about how in the world I am going to be able to fit marriage into my lifestyle, but I was reminded that I don't need to worry about that. Before I even think about that, I need to be developing myself as a man - physically, emotionally, socially, and, most of all, spiritually - and seeking the mission God has for me in life. Concerning my mission, we are all given a general and specific mission. Everyone's general mission is in Matt 28:19-20 (making disciples), and until God reveals to me my specific mission in life, I need to be concentrating on my general mission. I need to do these two things, man and mission, before I even think about a mate. Even though I don't really like the sound of that, I know that is what I need to be doing, and what I am doing.
Besides the messages, conversations, and such, I also found some time to play some dodgeball, basketball, wrestle a little, and go tubing down the hill at furious speeds. It was an amazing weekend. I know it may be hard to understand everything I talked about because I was kinda all over the place, but bear with me.
We got back Monday night, and my week has started again. I received back some major graded events on Tuesday and was elated at the outcomes (a LOT better than I was expecting). I also had a Psychology test yesterday. Today isn't too bad. I only have two classes and then a briefing tonight, after practice. I'm already pretty exhausted, but at least this week is short.
Well, I think it is time for me to get back to some homework. But before I do, here are just a few more memories from this weekend...
Ski bike, big hill, lots o' ice...nuff said.
Just hangin' out...
On our way to tubing.

No comments:

Post a Comment